New York Steaks with Mushroom Cream Sauce - Chef Peter Janiak

I'm not a huge steak eater.  I very rarely make them at home, much to my husband's dismay, and I very rarely order them out.  I'd much rather have a nice piece of halibut or pork or pasta.

I hate mushrooms.  I like the flavor mushrooms impart on a dish but I can't stand the texture. I don't know what it is but that styrofoamy texture (yes even portabellas have it) is just something I can't stand.


So when Chef Janiak posted the recipe for New York Steaks with Mushroom Cream Sauce, why did I feel I had to make them?  Could be that every one of Chef Janiak's recipes that I've tried has been fabulous.  Could be that the recipe said it paired perfectly with the 2010 Home Ranch Zinfandel, my very favorite wine in the whole wide world.  Or maybe I'm just a little iron deficit and I'm craving beef, I don't know.  I do know this afternoon I sent Dave an email with the list of ingredients I didn't have in the house so he could pick them up at the grocery store and we could have these tonight!


I've made steaks this way before and I know how perfectly they turn out.  Simply sear them in a pan, stick the pan in a hot oven, and a few minutes later perfectly cooked steaks.  Look at these steaks, are they not beautiful?


I seared them and stuck them in a 400 degree oven.  I do love my LeCreuset cast iron pan.  I find I use it more than any other I own.

In the few minutes (like 5) it took for the steaks to reach a perfect medium doneness (155 degrees in my book!) I was able to prep the ingredients for the sauce.  



I could have made the sauce in another pan but why waste the yummy brown bits from the steaks?  So once the steaks were to temperature I let them rest on a pre-warmed plate (thanks to the plate warmer I got for my birthday, LOVE it!) under foil while I made the sauce in the very same pan.

Sauteed shallots, yum.  Then mushrooms are added and cooked until they are soft and all that extra liquid is gone.



Mustard, Worcestershire sauce and thyme are added then brandy and chicken stock.  This is when things really started to smell good!  A little cream is added and reduced and finally creme fraiche and parsley.  The aroma in my kitchen was making my mouth water.  The sauce is beautiful!




I served it over my perfectly cooked steaks.  I should have taken a picture but once I took a bite, well I couldn't stop eating!  The sauce is delicious.  It has the great earthy, or umami for those of you who watch too much FoodNetwork, flavor absolutely perfect with the steaks.  I finished the steak!  I never finish a steak.  I finished this steak!


After Dave's first bite he looked at me and just said "mmmmm."  And we agree, it pairs perfectly with the 2010 Home Ranch Zinfandel.  Of course I don't think there is anything that doesn't pair well with a Home Ranch Zinfandel!



I mopped up any extra sauce on my plate with some roasted butternut squash.  I wished I had made some sort of bread!

Another fabulous recipe from Chef Janiak!   Thank you!  There is plenty of extra sauce.  I won't be home for dinner tomorrow so Dave's plan is meatloaf and mashed potatoes left over from last night topped with the leftover sauce and mushrooms from tonight!

New York Steaks with Mushroom Sauce
by Chef Peter Janiak, Seghesio Vineyards
Ingredients• 2 Tablespoons of butter • 2 each diced shallots • 1# of fresh morels or 4oz dried and reconstituted • 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard • ¼ cup of brandy • 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce • ½ cup of chicken stock • ½ cup of heavy cream • 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme • 2 Tablespoons of crème fraiche
Technique• Sauté diced shallots in butter over medium heat until soft and translucent (no color) • Add morels and cook until soft and all liquid is cooked off of them • Add mustard, Worcestershire and thyme, then stir until mixed evenly • Add brandy and chicken stock; proceed to reduce by half • Add cream and reduce by half (sauce will be thick and bubbly) • Turn off heat, let stand for 1 minute and then stir in crème fraiche  • Adjust with salt and pepper to your taste and spoon over steaks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts