My First Flatbread

I've made lots of breads before, sweet breads, baguette, artisan, sandwich.  But I've never made a flatbread before.  As luck would have it, the suggested side for the recipe I was making for dinner tonight, Pear and Pecorino Ravioli from Williams Sonoma, was a rosemary flatbread.

Here is a link to the recipe:
Flatbread with Rosemary and Olive Oil

This was surprisingly easy to put together.  Flour, sugar, salt, yeast, water and olive oil are mixed in a food processor.  I used my favorite Tuscan Herb olive oil from The Olive Grove.  I thought it would go nicely with the rosemary.  I wasn't wrong!




The dough is very soft, velvety soft, and very easy to knead.  After a couple of minutes of kneading (no upper body workout here) the dough is left to rise for an hour and a half.



Once risen the dough is divided in two so you can make two at once.  Or, like I did, you can wrap the other half in plastic wrap and put it in a freezer bag and freeze it for a later date!  I love having dough in the frig or freezer!



The dough is then stretched onto a cornmeal coated sheet pan.  This, well, this step will probably go better for me next time.  This wasn't as easy as the folks at Williams Sonoma made it sound but after a while I got the hang of it.  My dough was really thin in some spots but it turned out.



After another 15 minute rise, "dimples" are poked in the dough.  Well, my dough was so thin in some places it didn't get "dimpled".  But there must have been enough of the little indentations because the bread turned out great.


The last step before putting this in the oven is brushing it with olive oil (I used the Tuscan Herb again) and sprinkling it with chopped rosemary and coarse ground sea salt.  The recipe said sea salt 'to taste".  Since I'd never had this before I didn't know what my taste was so I went easy on it.  I'll go even easier next time or use a finer granulation salt.  A little salt is good but every once in a while I'd get a bigger chunk and, well, I didn't like that.

The aroma in the kitchen from the rosemary was divine!  It even brought my husband up from downstairs.


It turned out beautifully and tasted great!  The flavor of the Tuscan Herb oil came through and complimented the rosemary perfectly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts