Gingerbread Waffles from King Arthur Flour

My Baking Sheet from King Arthur Flour arrived on Friday.  As with my recent copy of Entertaining from Cook's Illustrated, there are many recipes in this issue I'll just have to try.  I started with the Gingerbread Waffles with Apple Brown Sugar Syrup.

A month or so ago, maybe it wasn't that long, I made pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon syrup from the Noble Pig.  They are to-die-for I kid you not!  It's like having dessert for breakfast.  Would these waffles be as good?  I like gingerbread and I'm a little "pumpkined out" right now so I was hoping these would be good.

The syrup was easy.  I sauteed some diced apple in butter then added brown sugar, water, corn syrup and the "optional" ingredient, rum!  I asked Dave to go get me some rum from the bar.  He asked if I wanted the 151.  Um, no honey, I want this to taste good!  The only reason we have 151 in the house is so we can make Butterscotch Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream.  So some good dark rum went into the syrup!





I've made lots of waffles and most recipes call for whipped egg whites.  This one didn't so I was a little worried I'd get a really dense waffle.  The waffles call for both regular unbleached flour and whole wheat flour.  Yay!  They're "good for you!"  OK then you add four eggs, 6 tablespoons of butter, milk and sour cream.  So they are just kind of good for you?  In addition to the must haves like baking powder, baking soda and salt, the waffles are flavored with ginger, nutmeg, cloves and molasses.  The batter is beautiful!


Into the waffle iron they go and a few minutes later out comes a crunchy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside waffle that tastes like Christmas!  Dave took a bite and said "Mmmm, gingerbread cookie with rum sauce!"  He approved.  I thought they were very good as well.  Though I didn't think they tasted like a gingerbread cookie.  They aren't that sweet.  There's a light ginger flavor that goes beautifully with the sweet apples and syrup.  If it were just for me I'd leave the rum out, I'm not a big fan of rum, but Dave thought the syrup was perfect.




I joked about how good, or not so good, these waffles are for you.   King Arthur Flour always puts the nutritional information for each recipe with the recipe.  So if you're curious, the waffles are 222 calories each with 7g protein, 23 carbs, 11g fat and 2g fiber.  That, of course, is if you make 10 waffles out of this batter.  Our waffle iron is a Belgian variety so we only got 5 waffles out of the batter.

One final note, after consuming this delicious breakfast I took the dogs out for their walk.  When we got home the house still smelled wonderful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts