Kicked Up Breakfast Nachos

One of my favorite food bloggers, Noble Pig, entered a recipe contest put on by Smart Balance.  Her entry is Kicked Up Breakfast Nachos and when I saw the picture I just had to make them!
This is Noble Pig's plate of Kicked Up Breakfast Nachos
It's very cold here today.  Ok, not middle of January -40 cold but for October 6th, starting the day under 40 degrees is cold!  This hot spicy dish would make a great brunch.

Here's a LINK to the recipe.

This is not a recipe for those of you have a rule of three or fewer ingredients.  You'll just have to wait for me to make them for you!  The recipe was created to highlight at least one Smart Balance product, Cathy used five!  I didn't really want to go buy a bunch of Smart Balance products so I used what I had in the house.  I used my good Nocellara olive oil and skipped the cooking spray and I made homemade garlic mayo yesterday so I used that instead of the Smart Balance mayonnaise.


Step one, roast the peppers!  The mini peppers, bell pepper and a jalapeno are sliced thin, tossed with oil and roasted in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  I didn't oil the pan, I used non-stick aluminum foil.  I love that stuff.  Makes clean up a breeze!
Don't they look delicious?
The second step is the avocado cream.  This I could eat by the spoonful!  There's a lot left and my brain is full of all kinds of ideas for it!  To make the cream jalapenos, avocado, cream cheese, chicken stock, mayonnaise, oil, cumin, salt and pepper.  I don't know if it really needed all of these ingredients but when they all came together in my food processor what came out was creamy and delicious!  I left about half of the seeds from the jalapeno in so it had a good kick and I think mine was probably a little thicker than Noble Pig intended but I like it this way.  I can dip a chip in it!  Then another and another...


Finally the eggs!  Brown up some sausage, I used a spicy pork sausage, add the eggs and cook them through.  Off the heat cheese is added.  The recipe called for Manchego cheese which I think would have been delicious but somehow that got left off my grocery list!  So I used mozzarella.  It worked.
To assemble place a layer of chips on a plate.  I used our new favorite chips from Whole Grain Milling company in Welcome, MN.  These chips hold up to dipping but aren't tough.  They have a great toasted corn flavor and have minimal ingredients!  And even better they're from right here in Minnesota.


Drizzle the chips with the avocado cream (I glopped... mine was thick!), top with the sausage, egg and cheese mixture then the peppers.  Lather, rinse and repeat with another layer!

To show how much I love my husband I even bought cilantro for his serving!  I hate cilantro.  I don't even like the smell of it!  And I contaminated my cutting board and my knife so he could have some on his nachos.  Am I great or what?  ;-)
Dave took a couple of bites, declared them good then left the table.  When he came back he had a beer.  It was 10:30 in the morning!  He said he couldn't eat nachos without a beer!
These were delicious.  And I would venture to say we will serve them for meals other than breakfast!  I may even make them for lunch!
Oh, and don't forget to vote for this recipe from Noble Pig on the Smart Balance Recipe challenge!
Link to Smart Balance Recipe Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts