Skinny Meatloaf with Sweet and Sour Ketchup

Fall has most definitely arrived!  It has me craving warm comfort food like meatloaf!

I bought a copy of Cuisine at Home's Cuisine Light cookbook a few weeks ago.  I love their cookbooks not only because there are so many pictures of the preparations and final products, but because their recipes are easy and I've not found one that I didn't like.  Last week I made the Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower and we really liked it!

I like meatloaf, my husband loves meatloaf.  If I make meatloaf with mashed potatoes, well, he's in heaven!  Tonight, well, he got meatloaf with lemon potatoes so he's only just happy!

I really like this meatloaf.  It still tastes like meatloaf but has less fat and calories.  I especially liked the mixture of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar on top.  It was a nice change from plain old ketchup.  I used a spicy brown mustard to give it a little extra kick.

The recipe called for grated onion.  I can honestly say I've never grated an onion before.  According to the folks at Cuisine, grated onion provides more flavor than diced, so I grated!


I couldn't find my broiler pan (family, excellent Christmas or birthday idea!) so I baked the meatloaf in my meatloaf pan.  It has an insert with holes in the bottom so the fat drips though so it performs the same function as the broiler pan, just doesn't look quite so pretty when it comes out.  I had exactly enough meat left over from the two packages to make exactly half a loaf.  That one will go in the freezer for a night I don't have the time or energy to cook.  I could find my little broiler pan so I baked that one on it.  You can see from the pictures, it is prettier!



I served the meatloaf with Cook's Illustrated Lemon Potatoes and some roasted carrots and brussels sprouts.  It hit the spot on this blustery fall day!


Here's the recipe!

Skinny Meatloaf with Sweet and Sour Ketchup

Serving Size: 6    (approx. 5 1/2 ounces each)

NOTES : Grated onion gives the meatloaf more flavor than diced.  Be sure to add any juices from the board!  Using a broiler pan allows the fat to drip through the slats, away from the meat.
       
7 Weight Watchers Points Plus points per serving

Ingredients:

3/4 pound ground sirloin
3/4 pound turkey breast, boneless and skinless -- ground
1 cup panko -- or fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup grated onion
2 large egg whites
3 tablespoons skim milk
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
2 teaspoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; coat a broiler pan with nonstick spray.

Combine ground sirloin, ground turkey breast, bread crumbs, parsley, onion, egg whites, milk, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a bowl, using your hands to mix.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, shaping it into a 9x5 inch loaf.

Stir together the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl, then spoon on top of the meatloaf.

Bake meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer reaches 160 degrees, about 1 hour.  Let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 267 Calories; 11g Fat (36.5% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 74mg Cholesterol; 511mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts