Spaghetti Squash with Crisped Sage and Walnuts

I have never made spaghetti squash before.  We've done butternut, acorn, and others but never spaghetti.  So when I saw a recipe that included crisped sage I had to try it.

I LOVE, yes LOVE fried sage leaves.  If you haven't had them, try them, they are delicious.  I especially like them in a browned butter sauce over squash ravioli but that's a different recipe!

This one was simple, slice the squash lengthwise and microwave (yes microwave!) for 20 minutes or until you can stick a fork in it.  Let it rest 5 minutes.  While it's resting, toast up some chopped walnuts and saute some chopped sage in olive oil.  Mix it all together, season with salt and pepper and you have a delicious side!

We had tasty pig (otherwise known as pork tenderloin) rubbed with Penzey's Northwoods Fire rub then grilled, some roasted fingerling potatoes with rosemary and the squash for dinner.  Delish and the kitchen smelled so good with all those great herbs!


The Official Recipe for the Squash:

Ingredients:
1 (about 2 1/2 pound) spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil (I used the Black Walnut variety from The Olive Grove)
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage (I added some whole leaves as well, I love sage)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place squash halves, cut side down, in microwavable dish.  Cover with wax paper and microwave on High until tender when pierced with a knife, 18-20 minutes.  Turn over squash and let cool 5 minutes.  Remove seeds.  (I removed the seeds before I cooked it).  With fork, scrape squash into large bowl.

While squash is cooling place walnuts in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until toasted, about 3 minutes.  Transfer walnuts to a plate.  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add sage and cook, stirring constantly, until crisp, about 30 seconds.  Pour oil mixture over squash; add walnuts, salt and pepper and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts