Whoopie!

Pies!  Yes, Whoopie Pies.  I've made these delightful little treats before.  My mother made them for us when we were kids and we loved them.  But guess what?!  Just like there's an app for everything now, there's a gadget for these!  Wilton has come out with Whoopie Pie pans.

If you know me at all you know I had to have them.  Thank goodness Michael's is generous with those 40% and 50% off coupons!  I bought two so I wouldn't have to do batches and I found this cute Christmas whoopie pie pan on clearance for about four bucks!  I'm thinking gingerbread or maybe chocolate with peppermint filling?  There was only one of them so maybe the "bottoms" will just be round!


Wilton also has recipes for Whoopie pies.  Since it is the season for pumpkin I thought I'd try the Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies (even though they have a maple filling, I'm not a fan of maple!). The batter is simple to put together.  I put about 2 tablespoons in each cavity of the pan and baked them for about 12 minutes.  I was only able to fill 22 of the cavities with batter so maybe next time I'll do a little less in each.

 

They came right out of the pan and looked great!
 
 
 

While they were cooling I mixed together the filling.  In this case it's a cream cheese filling with maple flavor.  If memory serves the filling in the chocolate whoopie pies of my childhood had a fluffy white filling which probably included some marshmallow fluff.

I filled a pastry bag with the filling so they'd have pretty edges and in minutes I had 11 of these cute little "cookies". 



Dave liked them (he likes maple!) and we walked a few to a neighbor too.  Next time I'm making my favorite, chocolate with fluff in the middle.  Do you need a pan to make whoopie pies?  No.  Does it make making them easier?  Yes.  All of the cookies are the same size and they all have a nice flat bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts