Sunday Morning Popovers

It's Sunday morning.  It should be a nice, lazy, hot coffee/paper reading morning.  Well not so in our house.  We try, don't get me wrong, but we have a 6-year-old border collie mix that is insistent on morning walks on the weekends.  INSISTENT.  Yes, he has us trained very well.


I had originally planned on making Butter-Poached Shrimp with Grits with bacon from Ruhlman's Twenty but it takes time and attention that I knew I wouldn't get with Cider wanting his walk.  So we'll make that for dinner!

As I was flipping through Twenty I came across a popover recipe.  I've made popovers before.  They aren't hard and what a nice way to elevate scrambled eggs and bacon, Dave's favorite breakfast?

The batter is simple, eggs, milk, flour and salt.  The batter needs to sit for a while before you can bake it so I mixed it up, got dressed and headed out with the kids.  Our 3 mile walk takes us about 40 minutes so by the time I got back and got showered the batter would be ready!

 
I do not own a popover pan, shocking I know!  I own hot dog bun pans and doughnut pans but not a popover pan!  No worries!  I make them in ramekins and they turn out just great!

 
My "popover pan" was preheated in a 450 degree oven and a little, well OK a tablespoon of butter was added to each one.  Add the batter and pop them back in the oven.  They bake at 450 for 10 minutes then the heat is turned down to 400 for another 18 to 20 minutes.  Aren't these beautiful?

  
Breakfast is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts