Orange Cake

We have been invited to dinner with some really good friends.  They are making appetizers and dinner (shrimp scampi yum!) and Dave and I bringing the wine and dessert (shocking, I know, that wine and dessert were our offerings!).

I've been baking a lot, A LOT and last week I had something to bake every night.  Some nights I had more than one order to bake.  So by Thursday night I was feeling "baked out" and uninspired as to what to bring for this great dinner.

I literally poured through a dozen cookbooks looking for something fun to make.  Nothing was jumping out at me.  There were the old stand-bys, like creme brule or one of my standard cakes but I wanted something new.  Dave, of course, wanted his favorite chocolate cake with fluffy white frosting.  I happened to mention an Orange Blossom Torte, a recipe from The Rittenhouse.  I hadn't made one in a LONG time.  A really long time. 

The last time I made one was for a friend's housewarming party and as we were packing the car, Molly (just a puppy then) got up on the counter and ate half of it!  Since Molly was just a puppy it had to be over 12 years ago that I made the last cake.

I decided to change it up a bit.  I added orange infused oil to the cake itself.  There was just a hint of orange as they were baking.  I torted the cake and brushed the layers with Grand Marnier.

Each layer is filled with an orange/cream cheese filling (cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar and orange flavor). 


The original recipe called for a whipped cream frosting.  I've never been much of a fan of whipped cream frosting.  I'm a butter cream girl!  So I made an orange butter cream instead.  It should be a nicely orange, but not overpowering cake.  I guess we'll know tomorrow night!  I think it will go well after Todd's shrimp scampi!

I hope our friends like it!

The "Recipe"
Your favorite basic white cake recipe or mix (if using a mix I highly recommend Duncan Hines Classic White) where orange infused olive oil is substituted for the regular oil.

The filling:
8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream - softened
1/2 cup butter - softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and butter until fluffy.  Add the powdered sugar, orange rind and orange extract and mix well.

The frosting:
1 pound butter
1 pound powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Cream the butter and lemon zest.  Add the sugar and mix until incorporated.  Add orange juice, vanilla and cream and whisk until light and creamy, about 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts