Gingerbread Overnight Oatmeal

Gingerbread Overnight Oatmeal.  Doesn't that sound delicious?  Put it together the night before, wake up to oatmeal?  And gingerbread?  Who doesn't like that?  Molasses/ginger cookies are one of my absolute favorites.  I love the gingerbread pancakes at Cook St. Paul.  I was sure I'd like this!



I've seen lots of Pinterest and blog posts about overnight oatmeal.  I've just never tried it.  I've baked oatmeal.  I've even made oatmeal in my crockpot, I just never got around to making it in a jar, in my frig, overnight.  Until now.

Here is a link to the recipe:
Gingerbread Overnight Oatmeal

First I had to whip up some "gingerbread spice."  There is a recipe for it within the recipe for the oatmeal, but it seemed like way too many spices for me.  Cardamom isn't a favorite spice of mine and I didn't have any star anise in the house so I consulted the Google and found a simpler mix of just cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves.  I forgot to throw some black pepper in there!  I love black pepper as a spice.  We use it in our family tradition Christmas cookie, Italian Chocolate Cookies, and I love it!  Maybe next time.  



You just put oats, milk, brown sugar, molasses, the gingerbread spice and a pinch of salt in a jar.  It smells just like gingerbread!



Shake it up and put it in the refrigerator.  That's it.


The next morning it didn't loo too much different, a little darker maybe but still smelled wonderful.


I warmed it up on the stove and topped it off with some toasted pecans and raisins!  


So how did it taste?  Well, there was definitely that gingerbread flavor but to my disappointment there was just a little too much raw molasses flavor.  I was surprised because I love molasses, I really do.  But at the back of my tongue there was just too much of it.   So next time, half of the molasses and maybe even a little less brown sugar.  It was plenty sweet and the gingerbread spice was what really gave it the amazing flavor.  Dave wasn't in love with it either so we'll chalk this one up to experience.


I will probably try an overnight oatmeal again.  It was so easy.  And on these mornings when it's minus whatever Fahrenheit a nice warm breakfast hits the spot!  I just have to find the right combination of flavors!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts