Public Kitchen & Bar - St. Paul

After our normal Saturday morning errands Dave and I were looking for someplace for a little lunch.  We though about our go-to restaurants, Cook, Ward 6, maybe Blackdog Cafe or Black Sheep pizza.  We were near the Lowertown area of St. Paul so we decided to check out a relatively new place, Public.


It was about 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon.  I checked out their website on our way there.  They were open and serving their brunch menu but there were a couple of "lunchy" things on it so we were all good.

I think there was maybe one other table occupied in the restaurant.  Obviously this isn't their peak time.  We decided to sit at the bar.  If you know us you know we like to be at the bar getting to know the bar tender.

They have a respectable wine and beer list.  I think the bartender had to stop back three times before Dave finally made a decision on a drink.


There were lots of things on the menu that looked good, both "breakfasty" and "lunchy" things.  The bar tender favored the Biscuits and Gravy.  I thought the Steak and Eggs sounded good and I'm not a big steak eater; top sirloin, smoked jalapeno butter and eggs with house made breakfast potatoes.  The one other table ordered a Breakfast Sandwich so I got to see that as the waitress brought it past us.  That looked good too.

But both Dave and I were in the mood for lunch so we ordered off the "Non-Brunch" (that's what it's called on the menu) section of the menu.

I ordered a grilled chicken club; bourbon glazed bacon, Parmesan cheese, arugula, marinated tomatoes and garlic aioli.  I specifically asked for crispy bacon.  I don't like flabby bacon! I got the salad instead of fries.


Dave ordered the Walleye Po'Boy which had marinated tomatoes, pickled onions and a creole remoulade.  Dave got the fries with his.


First my sandwich.  Sorry about the pictures, I had to use my phone.  I didn't have my camera with me!  The Parmesan cheese was melted onto the bread.  Delicious!  The chicken was perfectly cooked, moist and juicy and almost melted in my mouth!  The garlic aioli was fantastic.  The bacon, well, it was flabby.  I picked it off!  The bartender noticed it and apologized for forgetting to ask for it to be crispy.  No worries. I have that happen to me all the time!

The salad was a simple green salad with a very tasty lemon vinaigrette.  It was nicely dressed, not soggy.

Dave's sandwich was equally as good (we each took half of each sandwich).   The pickled onions were delicious and there was a great spicy mustard on it that was just perfect.  The fish was lightly battered and not overly so.  It was cooked perfectly, not greasy, a very tasty sandwich!  The fries were just OK.  I think had we been there at a busier time maybe they would have been better?  They were lightly battered and they were cooked through but they didn't have a lot of flavor.

Public is having a five-course dinner with beer tastings from Fulton beers.  Yes, we had to sign up for that!  So we'll be back at Public on the 27th.  It will be fun to see the place when it is hopping.  I'll remember my real camera!

Their dinner menu looks amazing so I'm sure we'll be back!  So nice to have so many great restaurants "in the neighborhood."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts