Can you really make homemade bread in an hour?

The answer is yes!  And I don't mean by thawing some frozen bread dough!



I came across this recipe and just had to try it.  It works!  Now is this "oh my god this is the best bread I've ever tasted" bread?  No.  Is it a decent white bread, yes. 

It makes great toast, fantastic grilled cheese, yummy french toast and, oh yea, a pretty darn good turkey sammich!  And it really is done in about an hour.  And even better the recipe makes two loaves so you can throw one in the freezer.

Here is a link to the recipe.  The author also has a cute video to go with it.
Simple One-Hour Homemade Bread

It's a pretty simple recipe, some bread flour, sugar, salt, instant yeast, oil and water.  That's it.  Yes, get the bread flour, you'll be happier with the results.  Bread flour has more gluten in it and it creates a more chewy bread.  All-purpose flour has a mix of high and low gluten wheats and has a bit less protein than bread flour.  You can use all-purpose in this recipe, but you might be disappointed in the results.

It's also important to use instant yeast.  This is what makes it possible to only have one rise for the bread!

I added the full 4 tablespoons of sugar to mine to get some nice browning!


There's nothing fancy about the mixing.  Mix the dry ingredients then add the oil and water.  The recipe says to make sure the dough is "wet" and "sticky."  The stickier the dough, the softer the loaf.  I added a tablespoon of water the first time I made this, a little more than that the second time.  The dough, after the first minute of mixing, should be somewhat wet and pretty sticky.  This is how it stuck to my mixer paddle!



Mix the dough for an additional 5 minutes.  I was surprised to see the author used her paddle attachment rather than a dough hook!  So if you don't have a dough hook this is the recipe for you!

Spray your board with cooking spray (you don't want to add any more flour to the dough) and kneed 8 or 10 times until you have a nice smooth dough.



Cut the dough in half and shape it into whatever shape you like.  I love my bench scraper for cutting the dough.  Place it on greased (or parchment lined) pans, cover with a towel and go do something else for 25 minutes while the dough rises.




Yes, just 25 minutes!  Yes, it only has to rise once! 



Slash your dough and place it in the oven and in about 25 minutes you have homemade bread!  The recipe says bake until golden brown which was about 25 minutes in my oven.  I always check the temperature of my bread with an instant read thermometer, it should be about 200 degrees.


Like I said this isn't an amazing artisan bread but it is good.  It makes a great sandwich, toast or even French toast!  Next time I think I may do a little egg wash to see if I can't get that crust a little prettier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts