Best Brunch Ever!

Those of you who follow my kitchen adventures know that I found the perfect English Muffin recipe yesterday.  Earlier in the week I received an email from one of my favorite blog sites, Skinnytaste, the I thought would go perfectly with my homemade muffins, Crust-less Summer Zucchini Pie!  In my head this "pie" topped with a poached egg and some habanero aioli sounded really good!

It turns out this morning is a rare rainy one here in the Twin Cities.  It was the perfect morning to spend in the kitchen whipping up this new recipe.  And even better?  All of the ingredients with the exception of the milk, flour, baking soda, salt and pepper came either from Farmer's Market or my herb garden!

I'll be honest, this recipe is not for those who want few ingredients or minimal prep but if you're up for just a little bit of prep work, this recipe is totally worth it!  There are 13 ingredients if you count the cooking spray.



The star of this dish is the zucchini.  My food processor made short work of shredding the zucchini.

To get the liquid out, the recipe calls for squeezing the shredded zucchini in cheesecloth.  I prefer these great towels I bought on Open Sky from Michael Ruhlman.  I use them for all sorts of things, but they work great if you want to squeeze liquid out of zucchini!  Just throw them in the wash afterwards and use them over and over.

 
 


Look at these beautiful shallots I found at the Inver Grove Heights Farmer's Market!  They made me cry!  Literally.

The chives came out of my garden.  Thank you Dave for braving the rain to snip some for me!




There are two cheeses in this pie, mozzarella and Parmesan.  Both were from Eichten's out of Center City, MN.

The recipe called for white whole wheat flour.  Well, I didn't have any in the house so I used regular whole wheat flour.  It worked just fine!

Add a little baking powder, milk, olive oil (from the Olive Grove of course!), eggs (from my friends at Otis Family Farm in Baldwin, WI), salt and pepper and you're ready to put it all in the oven. 

 
 


Almost immediately it started to smell so good!  There's something about the smell of cooking onions that I just love!


After about 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven out comes this savory pie just screaming to be topped with an egg!

I served it topped with a poached egg drizzled with some of that delicious habanero aioli from San Pedro Cafe.  I've gotten quite good at poaching eggs, thank you Michael Ruhlman.  On the side?  Those amazing home made English muffins topped with homemade sour cherry jam!

 


This was so good!  Dave loved it too.  I'll definitely make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts