Crackers!

If you know me, or read this blog with any frequency, you know I like to make bread.  I very rarely buy bread anymore, including things like English muffins and hamburger buns.  I've found some great recipes that are so easy (and so cheap!) why would I buy them.

I do still buy crackers.  I love the Potter's Crackers they sell at The Golden Fig in St. Paul and both my hubby and I love the Sesmark rice crackers.

I don't remember where I first saw the recipe for "Olive Oil Crackers" but I immediately Pinned it.  I knew I would want to try and make these.

I've made them twice, why will be come apparent in a bit!

Here is a link to the recipe:
Olive Oil Crackers

These are pretty simple to whip together, mix some flour, baking powder, olive oil and water in a bowl and knead it a little bit.

I chose to use my garlic infused olive oil from The Olive Grove Olive Oil Company.  


The recipe is in metric units so I've converted for you here!

250 grams of flour is about 9 ounces.



125 ml of water is about 1/2 a cup.



220C is about 428F.

The dough comes together very easily.  Once you have the dough you portion it off in "walnut" sized pieces and roll them into thin "tongues."





They are then brushed with more olive oil, sprinkled with salt and baked until crispy, 6-8 minutes.




The first time I made them I rolled them by hand.  I got them all fairly thin, but they weren't all completely uniform.  They baked up fine and I will say they tasted pretty good!  I served them with some yummy Deena's Hummus.



But I thought I could do better!  What if I used my pasta roller attachment for my Kitchenaid to roll the crackers out?  Then they would all be exactly the same thickness and I could get them thinner than if I rolled them by hand.


I rolled them to a 6 on my pasta roller and to be honest I think I could have gone to even a 7 or 8.  Because I knew what the plain crackers tasted like, this time I added cracked black pepper to a third of the batch and chopped rosemary (and used my Rosemary Infused EVOO from Olive Grove on those!) to another third, the rest I left plain.



Yes, they were better this time!  I really liked the flavored crackers too.  They stayed crispy in a zip top bag for a couple days (that's as long as they lasted!).  These were fun and easy and I'll definitely make them again. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts