Kenwood Vineyards Bolognese

Those of you who know us, know Dave and I occasionally enjoy a glass of wine.  Ok, well more than occasionally.  We like wine and one of our favorite vineyards is Kenwood.  We've been wine club members there for 6 or 8 years now and with each shipment they send us recipes.  Many years ago now, I can't believe it took me this long to share the recipe, they sent this recipe for bolognese.

There are only two pasta sauces served in my house, this one when I want a meat sauce and my Grandmother's when we want a traditional red sauce. You will not be served a jarred sauce here.  Well, that's not entirely true.  If, by some horror of circumstances there is none of the aforementioned sauces in the house I will buy a jar of Mario Batali's arrabiata sauce.  It's very good and there's no sugar or additives or preservatives in it.

But today I made bolognese.  We got close to a foot of snow here in MN today.  Nothing much is moving.  Schools are all closed and I was off of work anyway so why not simmer some sauce?

Ingredients:
2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage
2 medium onions, diced
1/2 cup fresh garlic, minced
3 cups diced green bell pepper
1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 cups chopped tomatoes
4 cups tomato sauce
2 cups tomato paste
1 bottle red wine, suggested Kenwood Sonoma County Merlot
4 cups veal stock
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh oregano

Directions:
Saute meat in sauce pan.  Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, spices and chili flakes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Add tomatoes and wine.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hours.

Add stock and season again with salt and pepper.  Add herbs and turn off heat.


There's a bit of chopping with the peppers and onions.  Anyone interested in buying me a Christmas gift, I'd love onion goggles!  I chopped a lot of onions today.  Would have loved goggles!



 
I used good grass fed Highland beef from Butternut Woods Farm and sausage from my friends at Otis Family Farm. In season I would use fresh tomatoes but, well, it's the dead of winter so I used canned.  I really like the Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced! 

 And when I'm not lazy I will chop up a half cup of garlic.  I've even been known to roast it then chop it up.  Today I was lazy and used jarred garlic. 
 Once the meat is well browned, the onions, peppers, garlic and spices are added.  I love cinnamon in pasta and pasta sauce.  The cheese ravioli filling my grandmother taught me to make has cinnamon in it.  It surprises everyone who tastes it, in a good way! 
 To this the tomatoes, tomoto sauce and tomato paste are added. 
 Then, the best part of this sauce, an entire bottle of merlot! 


This is simmered for a couple of hours.  The house always smells so good when I'm making sauce. Finally some veal stock (I've used beef stock when I can't find veal) and fresh herbs are added.

The recipe makes 7 quarts of sauce.  I pack this up in gallon zip top bags and freeze it.  When we are looking for a quick dinner I pull it out, heat it up and pour it over pasta.  When we're entertaining it makes an amazing lasagna or baked ziti.  Thank you Kenwood vineyards for a recipe that is now a staple in our home!

1 comment:

  1. This is the BEST meat tomatoe sauce ever. I love the cinnamon and merlot taste to it. Kuddos Andrea!

    ReplyDelete

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts