Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes, and Pinterest

Pinterest.  Heard of it?  I thought I was a late-comer to this new social networking thing I really didn't understand, and quite honestly still don't really.

According to Pinterest:
"Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes." 

From Wikipedia:

Pinterest is a pinboard-styled social photo sharing website. The service allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections. The site's mission statement is to "connect everyone in the world through the 'things' they find interesting." Pinterest is managed by Cold Brew Labs, a team based in Palo Alto, California. The website has proven especially popular among women.

While I can't imagine someone planning their wedding on Pinterest, I can see some usefulness there.  For me, it's a place to put recipes I find in magazines and on the web.  I get, well a few, cooking and home magazines at the house.  When I find recipes I want to try I cut them out of the magazine and put them in nice plastic covers in a binder.  If I find one on the web or one of the many sites I belong to emails me one, I print it out and do the same thing.

Yea right.

This is what my recipes look like.



So for me, Pinterest is nice because I can "pin" recipes to my "board" and I can easily find them again.  At least that's the plan.

I really didn't need yet another source of recipes.  I'm quite overwhelmed with the ones I have but here we go anyway.

One recipe that seemed to be pinned over and over was Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes.  I'm not sure how many people who pinned the recipe actually made them, but I did.

I'll be honest I don't like Guinness or Irish Whiskey and Irish cream in small doses is fine but I don't love it.  These are the key ingredients in these cupcakes.

I tried to drill in until I found the "original" recipe and here's that link. You'll notice at the bottom this was adapted from someone else.  I guess that's true of most recipes isn't it?

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes from the Browneyed Baker

There's a different booze in each part of these cupcakes, Guinness in the cupcake batter, Irish whiskey in the ganache filling and Irish cream in the frosting.  These are not for the under 21 crowd!


The cupcakes are pretty easy to put together.  The Guinness is simmered with butter then cocoa powder is added and whisked until smooth.  I have to admit, this smelled pretty good!



The eggs and some sour cream are whisked together and this chocolate mixture is added to that.  The dry ingredients are then added and the batter is portioned into 24 cupcakes and baked.

While they are baking the ganache is made.  This is pretty simple too, chop some chocolate, heat up some heavy cream then pour it over the chopped chocolate to melt it.  Add butter and whisky and stir!




I have to admit I couldn't really taste the whiskey in the ganache. I didn't add more because I didn't want a soupy mess inside the cupcakes!

The frosting is a basic butter cream, butter, powdered sugar and Irish cream.  Personally I prefer my version of Irish cream frosting.  I add cocoa powder to mine so it's more of a chocolate Irish cream.  This one, well, all you taste is the Irish cream!

Next is assembly! I typically just pipe my fillings into my cupcakes but this ganache was a bit thicker than fillings I usually use so I followed the recipe directions and hollowed out the cupcakes with a big pastry tip.



It worked slick!  And I ended up with this nice little bowl of "cupcake holes" so I could try the cupcake without the ganache and frosting.


It tasted a bit like beer bread.  Mmmmm... beer bread.  I haven't made that in a while!  But I digress, the cupcakes were good!

Each hole is then filled with ganache.


And then finally the cupcakes are frosted.



So what was the final verdict on these cupcakes?  Everyone that ate one loved them! 

Getting back to that mess of recipes I showed you above, I am good at organizing the recipes I really like.  So when I find a gem in that pile of printed pages and torn up magazines, I add them to my recipe software for safe keeping.  I always know where that is and it's searchable!  Finding that really good recipe I made 6 months ago and thought I remembered in which pile it was, well that doesn't work!

Will this recipe make it to the computer?  Jury's still out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts