Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

I love breakfast.   It's my favorite meal to eat out and if a shower and clothes weren't required we'd go out for it more!  On days when I just want to stay in my jammies and put my hair up in a pony, I make breakfast.

My sister-in-law mentioned that she adds lemon infused olive oil to her waffles and that it's really good.  I thought I'd try that this morning.  She uses a waffle mix.  I didn't have any of that in the house so I decided to just make my own.  My "normal" recipe, calls for buttermilk.  I didn't have any in the house.  I didn't feel like just souring milk with lemon juice, I did have milk and lemons, so I looked for other buttermilk substitutions. In my Googling I read somewhere that using baking soda and cream of tartar will have the same effect.  So I decided to try it.

I usually put melted butter in the batter but this time I substituted the butter with lemon infused olive oil.  You can find a great conversion chart for this substitution on the Olive Grove's website.  Butter to Olive Oil Conversion Chart


I also added a little grated lemon zest for a little more lemon flavor.  I love these waffles.  They are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.  I add cornmeal for a little different flavor and this adds to the texture as well.

The recipe:
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal (this is really optional but I love it)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
teaspoons cream of tartar
zest of one lemon
1 egg white, whipped to hold a peak, save the yolk!
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted (or 2 1/4 teaspoons olive oil)
 
Heat waffle iron. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk milk, egg yolk and butter (or olive oil).

Beat egg white until it just holds a 2-inch peak.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined.
Fold in egg whites.
Pour batter onto waffle iron and cook until done




I topped my waffle with one Amereno cherry and drizzled it with a little of the cherry syrup.  So good!  Just one cherry?  Yes, they are almost a dollar a piece!




Dave likes his with the traditional maple syrup.

I served them with a side of fresh berries topped with a little vanilla sugar.  Perfect weekend breakfast.  I did like the lemon in the waffles and I think next time I'd top them with blueberries, lemon, blueberry and cornmeal, that sounds good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts