A Week with Curtis Stone - Thursday

Tonight was another busy night.  Typically on a night like tonight Dave would "cook."  When Dave cooks we either go out or he brings dinner in.  I have to say I'm loving Curtis Stone's book.  I know that dinner won't take long to prepare and I can get other things done while I'm preparing it.

Worked late today.  Had another bad commute home.  I wonder if I can hire a helicopter to take me to and from work until the construction is done?

And tonight I had to finish the cakes I started yesterday.

Tonight's recipe was Grilled Ginger-Sesame Chicken Salad.  I have to admit I was a little nervous about the amount of fresh ginger in the recipe.  I like ginger, but I know how hot raw ginger can be if there is too much of it.  This recipe called for three tablespoons of chopped fresh ginger!  The marinade is soy sauce, ginger, oil, hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, Sriracha sauce and salt.

Again I was a little nervous about marinating the chicken in just 3 tablespoons of the marinade.  Really, that was going to be enough?  It doesn't look like much does it?


But it covered the chicken so into the refrigerator it went for 30 minutes.


 While that was marinating I turned this...


Into this...


One cake done!

I heated up the grill, the real one, not a grill pan, and while it was heating I got a tier added to another cake (dowels and everything!).

Once the chicken went on I prepped the rest of the dish.  Curtis Stone says this dish takes 15 minutes of prep time.  I think it took me that long to make my "carrot match sticks."  I really need to practice that.  Mine aren't nearly as pretty as Chef Stone's!



Once the chicken is done it's all tossed together with a little dressing which is made from reserved marinade to which scallions and red wine vinegar are added.  Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, toasted slivered almonds and some black sesame seeds.  I was even nice and garnished Dave's with a little cilantro!  Wasn't that nice of me?


This was delicious.  I mean really delicious.  I'm amazed at how much flavor was in the chicken after such a short marinade!  There is heat from the sriracha and the nutty flavor from the sesame oil.  You taste the ginger but it's not overpowering.  I bet this would be great on pork too!  The chicken came out so juicy too!  I think this will be on our summer menus!  Yummy!

Tomorrow we are meeting friends who are coming in from out of town for dinner so there won't be a Curtis Stone dinner tomorrow.  Never fear though!  My plan is to make a Curtis Stone dessert!  What am I making?  Chocolate Bread Pudding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts